$1000 off LASIK per eye
Official LASIK Surgeon
of the Texas Rangers
How often should you get your eyes checked? The answer varies by age and stage of life. Most people know that it is a good idea to get yearly checkups. We know how often to visit our dentists, and public service announcements about to tell people how often to get different screenings, such as mammograms. It’s important to include eye health into your check-up regiment!
- Every two years is a good general rule. Eye tests can detect early signs that you may be developing issues, and can reveal health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, some brain tumors, and multiple sclerosis. Catching these problems early is good for your overall health because they can be more easily treated in the early stages.
- Infants should have their first eye checks at six months of age. Visual perception is fully developed by nine months, and early intervention may help find issues that can be easily treated while the child is young.
- Preschoolers should see the eye doctor between three and five years of age. Waiting until a child reaches school age to have an eye exam can mean that problems are overlooked, and permanent damage can occur.
- Adolescents should have their vision checked every year. Because eye issues can affect a child’s school performance, it is important to have regular checkups.
- Young adults should be tested every two years. People between the ages of nineteen and thirty-nine should have their eyes checked even if they have good vision because early detection of conditions like Glaucoma can prevent permanent damage.
- People over age forty should be seen yearly. Because older people are more prone to conditions like high blood pressure, arthritis, cataracts, a thyroid condition, and glaucoma, regular checkups are crucial.
A lifetime of caring for your eyes will help to ensure your vision stays good well into your older years. Early detection is the key to catching many issues before they become full-blown problems. See your ophthalmologist regularly, and you will be able to keep your eyes healthy, and your vision strong.